Mental Health

Special Educational Needs and Disability General Information

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) describes the needs of a child who has a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them than for other children their age. If you think your child has a special educational need, visit your GP and ask for their opinion. If your child is already in school or nursery, talk to their teacher. Also ask to speak to the school’s Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who can organise extra help for children with special educational needs. SEN can cover a range of difficulties or disabilities:

  • Physical development
  • Visual impairment
  • Hearing impairment
  • Communication and interaction difficulties
  • Social
  • Emotional and mental health
  • Learning difficulties

For more information on SEND from NHS Choices, please click here.

Choose an area for local support information
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in South Tyneside

For information on Special Educational Needs in South Tyneside, please click here. You can also get information from the Special Educational Needs Department for South Tyneside.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in Sunderland

Sunderland Parent Partnership provides impartial and unbiased information, advice and support for children and young people with special educational needs and their families. You can also get information, advice and support for special educational needs and disabilities here.

Sunderland Action for Health provides useful information for people with learning disabilities, their carers and all health professionals.

Related videos for SEND

Search for SEND services