What is Self-Care Week 2018?
Today (12th November 2018) is the first day of Self-Care Week 2018 which is an annual campaign that aims to spread awareness nationally on what people can do to look after their own health and where they can get support to do this. This year’s theme is ‘Choose Self-Care for Life’ and is about engaging and empowering people to invest in their future selves by making small changes that can make a big difference.
What does ‘Choose Self Care for Life’ mean?
The aim of the campaign isn’t to fully educate you in health and medicine so that you never need attention or advice from a medical professional. Choosing Self Care for Life is about making improvements in your life to protect your physical health and mental wellbeing. Follow these small steps to a healthier you:
- Get active; advice is to exercise for at least twenty minutes a day, it’s ideal if you can incorporate this into your day by ditching the car and walking to work, or walking the dog, taking the stairs or even dancing around the kitchen table to your favourite songs!
- Eat well. We all know that healthy eating is crucial to our health so we can start by swapping unhealthy snacks for healthy options such as nuts, seeds and fruit. Ask your pharmacist for advice on managing your weight.
- Make positive changes! Take steps to stop those bad habits that don’t serve you well. This Self Care Week make a plan to stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake and get active! Your pharmacist can help with lifestyle changes such as weight management and stop smoking services.
- Rest. A good’s night’s sleep is as essential to our health and wellbeing as eating healthily and exercising so, make sure you get the recommended 7-8 hours a night!
- Stop! These days we lead have such busy lives that we sometimes forget to slow down and stop. Find time in your day to just quieten your mind. Mindfulness or yoga might be helpful.
What can wellbeinginfo.org do to support my Self-Care?
wellbeinginfo.org is a directory of services and information across Sunderland and South Tyneside which aims to help you to look after your own health and wellbeing by signposting you to appropriate support. So if you do want to make self care a part of your everyday life but you’re not sure where to start or where to go then wellbeinginfo.org is a great place for you to start.
Our wellbeinginfo.org app has launched this week during self-care week 2018 and allows you to access information quicker and easier and support you to access information so you can improve your own health and wellbeing. You can find the app on the App Store and the Play Store now and download it for free.
What is going on during Self-Care Week 2018?
Professionals all over the country take part in Self Care Week to help raise the important messages around understanding how to be healthy for life. A lot of organisations in the Sunderland and South Tyneside areas are holding events around the region which you can attend to find out more information on self care, to find out about these events in your area, please click here to visit our ‘Things To Do’ section.
For more information on Self Care week 2018, please click here.